![]() |
| Granny Bert, Me, and Pawpaw Zack |
My Granny Bert loved to cook and she also loved food. She had numerous cook books that proved this fact. I can remember as a child just being with her in her kitchen. It was such a wonderful place to be. One of the most treasured items I own is an orange notebook that was purchased at the Dollar General Store. On the front of the notebook in Bertha Bruchhaus Marcantel's hand writing is the the purpose of this orange note book. " Lisa's Cookbook 1984" inside the notebook is the index page. It is numbered one through six with the following recipes: Granny's Shrimp Mold, Bread Pudding, Fudge Candy, Busy Day Soup, Rice Pudding, and Cottage Cheese Salad. Following the index, my Granny took the time to write out each recipe for me. I remember when she gave it to me and how she showed me where to write my own recipes that I liked.
When Granny passed away I recieved some of her cook books. Each cook book that came to me, came because on the inside cover it stated,"This cook book belongs to Lisa" this also was written in her handwritng. I am ashamed to say that I am not half the cook my Granny was, but I do try occasionally.
Today while trying to find a recipe for shrimp stew I started going through Granny's cookbooks. In each cook book I would find recipes she loved or thought was good. I know this because she wrote on the side of them "very good." She even wrote things in the cook book about how to make it better next time or things she learned while cooking it the first time. Today Granny's handwriting and simple little messages made me smile. It made me miss her too. I also realized how a simple little orange notebook with my Granny's recipes in her handwriting is one of my prized possessions. It truly is the simple things in life! The notebook represents to me many hours with Granny that she invested in me. Although the hours were many times centerd around cooking and the kitchen, my lack of her cooking skills reveals that it really was not about cooking. It was about me. She loved me and felt I was worth investing her time in, we just happen to be in the kitchen ALOT!!
Today Granny helped me remember what is important. My children did not get the opportunity to know this great lady, but she still is impacting their lives. Today Granny reminded me to slow down and invest some time... because my children are worth investing in. Thank you Granny.
This is only one example that shows that it truly is
the little things that matter the most.
the little things that matter the most.

Love it, Lisa! What a legacy you have! You are truly a wonderful mother--and had great examples. Thanks for sharing a little of Granny with me :) I'll learn from her any day.
ReplyDeleteI love it!! Very sweet!! Just yesterday Jacob asked me to go swimming with him and I told him tomorrow. The look on his face caused me to ask him if he was mad at me and he said no just disappointed. That changed my mind and I went and we had a lot of fun. The little things, that's where relationships grow! Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDelete