Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Honoring Mama

The older I get and the older my children get, the more I
appreciate my mama!   I appreciate and understand the profound responsiblity of the title "Mama" more with each passing year.

I came across  a tribute to mothers  written by Ann Voskamp, the author of one of my most favorite books, One Thousand Gifts ~ A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are.  If you have not read it I highly recommend it! ☺




I could have never said it better... I hope you love it as much as I did.


In Mama's Honor
by Ann Voskamp
"I never understood...until it was my turn.
My turn to lumber...then labor...then linger over the breathtaking holiness of a new human being...
My turn to try to figure out what to serve before famished tummies for the 8,037th time...with a smile, creativity, and a sense of humor.
My turn to rub a bumped head, answer the phone, grab the pot of boiling-over-potatoes, and run with the "have-to-go-now" toddler to the bathroom...all simultaneously and effortlessly, of course...cause that's simply what the job requires.
My turn to figure out how to seamlessly pull off a birthday party production to rival an unforgettable Broadway musical...so somebody knows how loved they really are.
My turn to shape little people, mold malleable hearts, train up future men and women.....my turn to feel the responsibility...and profound privilege...of being a people-maker.
I didn't get it. And you didn't try to make me understand.
But now I do.
I understand the heart howls before our Lord, humbly asking for grace and mercy in a mama's oh-so-many-hours of need.
I understand weariness...despair......joy.....love.....LIFE......in ways your words could never have explained, but walking in your shoes has made so obvious.
I understand you....now. At least much more of who you are.
My Mama.
Happy Mother's Day....Seems so trite for a life poured out, a love so bestowed, a legacy inherited.
I simply rise up and declare you blessed."
Mama and me. Her first year as a Mother'
On this Mother's Day I would just like to say to my Mama... I love you and now that it is my turn... Oh how I now understand... I understand you so much more. 
 I rise up and declare you blessed!!!
 Happy Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment