Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Do Not Lose Focus

I could feel it - I was getting overwhelmed.  I was thinking about things that I have no control over... trying to control them, trying to fix them.  Fear, uncertainty and panic were setting in.  I was losing focus! Have you ever had one of those days, weeks, months, or even years???

It reminded me of another time I lost focus. I was in  labor with my first born. I had been in labor for approximately 9 hours.  Now, I want you to know that we had passed the class, and I had read a gazillion books and  had decided I was going to do this the natural way... NO pain medicine or epidural for me. I was ready.  Everything was going smoothly until the 9th hour.  I began to lose my focus... I could not control this pain - I refused to stop my deep  breathing, the breathing technique I had learned in the class.  Even though the nurse told me  I could stop to rest,  I refused to quit breathing  for fear that if I stopped I would forget how to breathe. ☺ I can remember moving my head rapidly from side to side on my pillow, not focused on anything except the pain and my thoughts. I was convinced that I would not make it.

Isn't it  funny how irrational we can get when we lose focus...The fact is... many women had survived labor before me and there would be many after me, yet I just knew I was going to die.

I began to hyperventilate, and was now having to breathe into a paper bag... SERIOUSLY!!  A paper bag!!   I remember my sweet husband saying my name over and over  demanding that I look at his eyes and FOCUS... Once I did, the panic in me subsided and my breathing returned to normal. I started to feel a sense of hope and a renewed thought that maybe I would survive this, but in order to maintain focus and survive,  I could not lose sight of  him. 

This memory of labor came to me the other day, when I was filled with thoughts of uncertainty and fear.  Things were going on around me that were not in my control.  My thoughts were becoming irrational. I was thinking  about the "what ifs" of life.  I am sure you know the "what ifs"  What if this happens, what if I can't fix it, what if, what if,  what if... The funny thing is most of what ifs never happen, they just preoccupy our minds and torment us...  Then it was as  if my heavenly father whispered to my heart.... " Lisa, Where is your help, where are your eyes focused?"  One of my favorite scriptures that I have hidden in my heart came out of my mouth....
Psalms 121:1-2
I will lift up my eyes to the hills—
From whence comes my help?
2 My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth.

My eyes are lifted up,  my help comes from the Lord... I need to remind myself of this often and every day.  Keep my eyes up!! It is when my eyes are up, that I am focused on the truth... The truth that does not change.  Just as I could not lose sight of my sweet husband that day during labor  I know that in order to maintain focus I can not lose sight of HIM~
 the one who "will not allow my foot to be moved, the one who keeps me and does not slumber, the one who will preserve my going out and my coming in all the days of my life" Psalms 121: 3 and 8

Are you like me sometimes?  Losing your focus? Are your eyes focused on everything except where they should be....  Remind yourself today and everyday... "lift up my eyes... that is where my help comes from"

EyesUp, Eyes Up... 

 


 

 

 I

1 comment:

  1. Timing couldn't be more perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete